chocolate hazelnut cookie sandwiches...
21 May 2014
Cookies are probably one of my favorite things in the world. So our friends at Wild Apple Magazine were kind enough to share this recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie Sandwiches with us today—just in time for a Memorial Day picnic this weekend. And, bonus, they're gluten-free for those of you always looking for tasty gluten-free treats! Click below for the recipe...
Hazelnut Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen sandwiches
¼ teaspoon chia seed
½ teaspoon whole flax seed
¼ teaspoon psyllium powder
2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour without added gums* (11 oz)
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 ¼ cup ground hazelnuts (7oz) (hazelnut flour)
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar (9.5 ounces)
1 ¼ cup sugar (8.75 ounces)
3 large eggs
½ cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
5 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cocoa nibs (optional)
1. Grind the first three ingredients to a powder in a clean coffee grinder.
2. Whisk the powder with the next five ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one by one, beating until fully incorporated and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until well combined.
6. Add the chocolate and cocoa nibs, stir to combine.
7. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, drop batter by the teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies are done when they look dry on the surface and the edges are crisp and golden. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 3 minutes, remove carefully with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
*If using a gluten free all purpose flour that contains gums, eliminate the psyllium,
chia, and flax
Chocolate For Sandwiching
8 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Place oil and chocolate in a medium bowl set over a gently simmering pot of water.
2. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth.
3. Spread about ½ teaspoon melted chocolate mixture on the flat side of a cookie, sandwich with another cookie. Let cool.
P.S. If you want more chocolate, make these Cocoa pancakes!