the most beautiful açai bowls...
5 May 2016
Even though I live in Los Angeles (the land of the super healthy), I can't say I live that gluten-free, macrobiotic, eat-some-oxygen-for-breakfast kind of life. I like being healthy when I can, but I also love things that taste good (hello donuts and fried chicken). And the combo of those two things can be hard to find.
In walks Amazebowls, a company I came across at a recent event and fell in love with their açaí bowls. If you're not familiar with açaí, it's a berry from South America that has been coveted for its health benefits. And, it actually tastes good (like blueberries mixed with a touch of chocolate). So we asked Amazebowls to share a recipe for Açaí Bowls with us so we can all recreate this deliciousness at home. This was the best and most beautiful breakfast ever (I ate two the day we did this shoot)...and makes for a great snack or pick-me-up pretty much any time of day...
Most of the work is simply in gathering the ingredients. If you keep these items on hand, it will be easy to make these whenever you want.
- Chopping board
To make the açaí base (1-2 servings):
- 1 frozen açaí pack (we recommend Amazon planet, can be found at Whole Foods)
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup of frozen pineapples
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup hemp milk
- 1 tsp agave
Here's how (it's so easy!):
1. Throw all ingredients in the blender and blend until you achieve a creamy consistency. Then pour it into your favorite bowl (we used coconut halves here). Because the base fruits are frozen, the texture is in-between a smoothie and a sorbet since it's nice and cold.
2. Top the bowls off with any fresh fruit and superfoods like what was used here including: strawberries, blueberries, bananas, dried coconut, granola, hemp hearts, cocoa nibs, chia seeds, and edible flowers.
P.S. If you're in Los Angeles, you can find the Amazebowls truck around the city. And, stay tuned for their retail locations in Downtown LA and in Venice opening soon!