a hearty fall salad for brunch!
13 Sep 2016
I love brunch. Like I love brunch more than a lot of things. But you know what brunch usually doesn't have? Salad! And as much as I'd love to eat only eggs and carbs for brunch, sometimes you need some of those greens for your growing bones, too. So today, we're sharing a recipe we created for a hearty fall salad that's perfect for brunch (or lunch or dinner, too ;). Here's how to make it...
For the salad:
- 16 oz kale
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced beets
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup micro greens
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup julienned heirloom carrots
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 2 cups cubed, roasted butternut squash
- 3 tbs honey
- salt & pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat over to 375 F. Toss diced butternut squash with honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring half way through to evenly brown. The squash should be slightly tender and lightly browned.
3. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients—kale, brussels sprouts, beets, pomegranate seeds, micro greens, feta, carrots, and pistachios. Allow for butternut squash to cool for 15 minutes before adding to the salad.
4. Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
5. Add butternut squash and mix in dressing. Salt & pepper to taste.
Add the salad to your other dishes, and you'll feel much better having this dose of green!
And, to spruce up your brunch table quickly and easily, we added in a faux leaf garland and mixed in some real eucalyptus and flowers. It made for a centerpiece that lasts longer and costs a lot less since you can use the garland over and over again.