rainbow photo backdrop...
31 Jan 2017
Photo backdrops are such a fun piece to have for a party, shower, or any celebratory gathering of friends and loved ones. It makes taking a picture together feel a bit more special and also not-too-serious when there's something happy in the background. We recently created this rainbow and cloud backdrop for a very exciting new product line we have launching soon (eek!), and we thought it would be fun to show you how to make one of these for one of your own upcoming celebrations. Here's how...
- white honeycombs
- streamers in assorted colors
- foam board
- fishing line
1. Using fishing line, hang honeycombs from a horizontal pole at staggered heights to make a cloud effect. You could use a simple wooden dowel like a broom stick. We used a couple of c-stands and a crossbar since we have those in the studio.
2. Cut a thin horizontal rectangle of foam board, about 5” high by whatever length you need. This is the piece that your streamers will attach to and hang behind the white "clouds". So you want it to be thin enough that you won't see it behind the the cluster of honeycombs.
3. Cut streamers to about 7 feet long (it’s ok to have the lengths vary too), and fold in half. Lay the folded ends on the foam board side-by-side as you go mixing the colors however you like. We did a mix of multi-colors for a rainbow effect.
4. Once you’ve cut all strips of streamers and have them laid out in a row, lay a strip of tape over them, folding the tape around edges of the foam board to secure.
5. Poke two holes in the two top corners of the foam board and string fishing line through.
6. Finally, tie the fishing line to hang the streamers behind the honeycombs. You may need to adjust the positioning of the honeycombs a bit, but the idea is for the clouds to hang in a cluster up top and the streamers to come down from behind them. Depending on the width of your backdrop, you can keep adding more to make it wider.