color adventures: a red and blush room! 16 Feb 2017
For the decor part of this month's Color Adventures, we put together a red and blush living room! As I mentioned a couple days ago, I have never allowed red before in any Oh Joy post in the last 12 years...until this month! The creative team did a great job putting together this room which I love and makes me start to like this whole red thing! Here's how this room came together...
1. Start with the base pieces. The red chair and stool is the focal point of this room, so we kept the other large pieces (the rug and other seating) neutral—black and white, in this case.
2. Next, add art. We kept the art neutral (yet still fun) since the red makes such a statement you don't want anything too colorful on the walls that will compete with the red.
3. Bring in solid pillows and other soft accessories. Here's where you can add accent colors and textures with pillows and blankets. We complemented the red with shades of pink and added some additional neutral with faux fur textures.
4. Add additional patterns. Now that you have your base colors, you can choose to top it off with some patterned pieces. We stuck to simpler patterns to keep the look graphic without overwhelming the eyes with patterns that are overly busy or detailed.
5. Finally, set out some finishing touches. These are pieces you might not always have out, but can be placed out if you're having company over.
No matter what type of room you are styling, the same rules apply for how to add color, pattern, and how to layer them all together!
Items shown: Aelfie rug, Modernica Props bench, Pom Pom at Home throw blanket, Arro Home dotty pillow, Urban Outfitters round pillows, Calhoun & Co pom pillow, Virginia Johnson Pillow, Randal Ford print, Leah Reena Goren tray, Modernica Props chair & ottoman, Brahms Mount throw blanket, Anthropologie pillow.