Every year, I try and pick out unique gifts for friends and family whenever possible. But sometimes, those gifts don't come already packaged in a perfectly crisp, white box ready for wrapping. So rather then having to default to sticking those odd-shaped gifts into a not-so-cute gift bag, we wanted to come up with some other ways to give those beautiful objects this holiday.
1. A Piñata Present—for jewelry, craft supplies, wooden blocks, or decorative arrows—you can use a mailer tube as the base container for a gift that has multiple parts or pieces. You can give this gift sealed with a lid or kept open (as shown above) to show off a bit of the prize inside.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- crepe paper, streamers, or tissue paper
- a mailer tube
- faux gold leather ribbon
- Scotch® Double-Sided Tape
- Scotch® Scissors
1. Wrap the crepe paper or streamer around 3 of your fingers a few times.
2. Use scissors to cut slits halfway in on one side making sure to leave at least ½” uncut up top.
3. Use double sided tape to secure the top of the streamers (the part without the slits) to the bottom of the tube and wrap around a few times to add layers.
4. Repeat step three with a different color or pattern above the first layer so that you can see a bit of the previous layer below. Repeat until you leave 1 inch from the top of the mailer tube free.
5. To finish off the tube, use the piece of gold faux leather ribbon to wrap around the top of the tube and secure with double-sided tape.
2. A Jolly Pineapple—For a vase, mug, or other oblong object, we were inspired by Japanese Furoshiki to wrap the object with fabric—in this case, into a festive pineapple!