I have loved seeing the unique and inspiring ways that businesses are pivoting and reworking models and ideas so that they can still flourish during this unprecedented pandemic. Our friends over at Milk Jar Cookies, one of my favorite cookie spots here in Los Angeles, had to temporarily close. But their owner Courtney Cowan came out with a baking book, so you can make their delicious cookies at home. Or, if you're not in the mood to bake, they are now also offering nationwide delivery! Today, they have graciously shared their chocolate chip cookie recipe with us, so you can try them out for yourself!
This recipe makes about 15-18 three-inch cookies.
For the Base Dough
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs (cold)
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, add butter, shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until just small chunks of butter remaining.
4. Add half the dry ingredients and mix until no flour is visible.
5. Add half the remaining dry ingredients until flour is incorporated and all butter chunks are gone.
6. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and is not sticky to the touch.
8. Mix in chocolate chips
9. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, and place dough balls (approx 1-1/2 inches in diameter), about 6 cookies on each sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, spinning the pan halfway through, or until the tops are just slightly turning golden brown and hairline cracks on the side. Let sit for 10 minutes before moving cookies to a cooling rack
10. Let the baking sheets cool before repeating with the remaining cookies.
Thanks so much to our friends at Milk Jar for sharing this recipe with us. Get this and many more delicious cookie recipes in their new book now available!
(Photos from Milk Jar Cookies)